Samson S: new to me crusty, where to begin

......when you need to get in the weeds.
DennisT

Re: Samson S: new to me crusty, where to begin

Post by DennisT »

WindyBob, thanks. I wish I knew how those 2 oil pump tubes are held in place. I don't want to just try pulling them straight out. Likely stuck anyway. And I DO already have a little wire brush like you show. Good confirmation.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Let me try to remember.......I have mostly model M's. Look under the case and see if there is a setscrew that tightens up against the tube, where it goes. If not, then try to unscrew them. As far as I know they are not pressed in. I have a 14 footer at the shop. I can take a look.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

On the M models, there is a setscrew in the top of the case webbing inside that holds them in. They are plainly visible. On the S's there are 2 drain plugs, one for the oil in the bottom of the case, and another towards the middle. If I remember, that for the oil pocket below the oil pump tube, to clean the crap put so the oil pump keeps working. Now It might be that that plug keep pressure on the oil pump tube, but I'm doubting that. There had to be a way to keep those from lifting or getting loose, So if there are no obvious setscrews in side the case, then I would think they screw in. The M is a later model, so maybe they added the setscrews seeing that it was difficult to work on, or service those. I was reminded that there is a plug in the top of the oil tube. That keeps the ball in, and also lets the oil come out on the side. Keep me posted. Thanks.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Drain plug and unknown wire ocked set screw.JPG
Windybob, I've been doing some homework. Horrible weather but required feeding of barn cats occurs right next to the Samson. Found the drain plug. I guess I was looking for something bigger. However, next to it is what looks to me like a set screw, "wire locked." Another mate to it on the other side of the main casting tube. Know what they are for?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Next, in continuing to understand the way this works, I'm thinking the "saddle" in this photo moves up and down riding the oil pump tubes as the mill operates. (pushed and pulled by the pair of pitman arms riding the large gears) The hole in the middle of the saddle carries the upper rod end, (missing here) going down to the well. Bad photo; taken before I cleaned anything up. Above the saddle can be seen the set screw you mentioned, (dirty), locked with wire. On the opposite side there is another set screw, also locked, but it runs vertically. ????
So if that saddle does ride the tubes, I ought to emery cloth the tubes smooth and ........... see if the tubes will pull out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If I was looking at a LOT of penetrating oil, it would make me feel a lot better. LOL

Yes, my M's have wire ties also.

Some of the setscrews are locking in the neckpipe I believe. But you are getting the idea. Remove the setscrews, flood with penetrant, and see what happens. The oil tube guide rods may even unscrew. If not, then turning them won't hurt anything.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

..me...."... getting the idea..." I love that. Exactly right. I do a LOT of homework before I take any chances. Sorry to take so much time here from all of you, but the assembly of this is new to me. Sorry also, those photos show it just as I got it after it sat in the dirt since 1989. Since, I've blown out about 4 quarts of dirt and dust. (We live in arid wheat country - c13 inches of rain annually. That's good and bad, sort of) No way to pressure wash it where it sits and I'm not sure I want to introduce water into it's interior anyway. I'm beginning now to soak joints, nuts, moving parts with penetrant. So down the road, you WILL see a log of penetrating oil !!!! Dry case walls, etc., that are not in the path of penetrant, I'll continue to chip dirt/gunk off and vacuum out. Vacuum won't work so well after everything it totally soaked. I have no way yet to properly mount the case vertically, so I'm going to lay it on blocking tipped up enough that the case can partially hold a pool of penetrant. I'm beginning with PB Blaster which I keep around, but may switch over to squirt cans of diesel/ATF mix or diesel/Acetone.

Need to ask this..........if this was yours, would you try to remove EVERYTHING inside the case????? Complete disassembly outside case?????

Dennis
windybob

Post by windybob »

Don't apologize, that's what we do here, is help each other. If it were mine, I would gut the whole thing, and start from scratch. Don't need any hidden dirt to show up later. And also you can clean all the oil passages, returns etc.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I agree with Bob. Take her all apart what you can most important take pics so you remember how it goes back together !!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

A water house and spray nozzle is what I’d use to get the dirt and mouse droppings out of it, if a pressure washer wasn’t available or accessible.