Parish

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
mtblah

Re: Parish

Post by mtblah »

Michael , i looks like you need to go out to the "Heritage Farm " in north west Waco and teach / show off some of your skills .
They have an interesting set-up out there
windybob

Post by windybob »

That's a really good job! I'm impressed.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

tower looks great
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thank you.

The literature I have on the Parish reflects they sold a 24’ tower with the girts appearing to be on the outside of the main angle. So mine is 1/2 scale-ish.
CTXmiller

Parish

Post by CTXmiller »

I erected the Parish yesterday. I still need to adjust the brake/main vane on a day with little to no wind as the main vane will not drop from horizontal (when off) to completely vertical (when on) when the brake is disengaged. It drops about 3/4 the way. The literature says the brake came “preset” and it likely did decades back. I made a few upgrades, or at least what I perceive as upgrades.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Additional photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Parish literature says they made an optional vane counterweight. Anyone ever seen one?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Interesting mill! I always hoped maybe I could find one around here, we have an amazing variety of mills. Not yet though. I had read somewhere that when they first came out, the had straight sails, but later they rolled them. also, sides vanes were optional I think. ....? Never heard anyuthing about a counter weight. A little difficult to understand the operation by the pictures. Great pictures though. My favorite color! Looks great!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Very nice workmanship Michael, very nice Mill.!!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thank you.

Windy - It is possible the smaller side vane was optional, but the literature I have doesn’t show it as optional. Only the “counter weight balance” reflects as optional. Mine lacked both a side vane and side vane pipe and several I have seen photos of in the wild, all lack side vanes. However all had the side vane pipe “holder” welded to the angle iron head to accept the side vane pipe. My guess was that the side vanes may have been poorly secured, damaged and or just lost over time.

It operates as follows:
Upon engaging the brake, the forks rotate up. This causes the brake in the hub to cause friction and simultaneously the main vane rotates from vertical to horizontal. Both the brake and main vane are on the same pipe stem, so they operate together under one action. Once the main vane is horizontal, the smaller side vane (which is vertical) then takes over all lateral movement of the entire head. Think of it as, if you flipped an Aermotor vane from its designed vertical position, which causes it to spin and into the wind to that of horizontal, where that same (horizontal) Aermotor vane would be useless in combination with the rotation/position of the mast pipe cup, etc.

Here are a few more photos. Some might be repeats, but they help explain what I’m trying to relay above.