Stover model M

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Stover model M

Post by windybob »

I used red on my M because I don't like black on a head.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
DavidRaines

Post by DavidRaines »

Hi, our club here in Kansas City area have acquired a Stover/Samson model M. It was in a tornado and we think we are missing parts. Would you have pictures of the head area. We have seen parts pics and lists but need to know how it’s put together.
Thanks
Dave
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

DavidRaines wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:56 pm Hi, our club here in Kansas City area have acquired a Stover/Samson model M. It was in a tornado and we think we are missing parts. Would you have pictures of the head area. We have seen parts pics and lists but need to know how it’s put together.
Thanks
Dave
Dave,

Welcome to the forum. I don’t own a model M and all I can offer are parts list and diagrams. Maybe someone can provide an actual photo of one.
DavidRaines

Post by DavidRaines »

Can’t figure out how to post pics but we think we are missing part number 10 M. Might be 10M8.
As far as paint it appears it was silver on the head.
The ball and socket turn-table on ours doesn’t have balls but has a brass washer.
The serial number is E1826.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have a few M's. I am not sure if they are 6 or 8 ft, but most mills here are 6 with a few 8's thrown in for good measure. We have a high water table so the ratio may be like 10 to 1. As far as I know all my M's are locked up. I resored one, and I nearly tossed it becase it was so difficult. If yours moves, great! I remember that the S models have roller bearings, and the M's have " so called plain babbitt bearings". When I had mine apart finally, i looked practically with a microscope, and NEVER saw a molecule of babbitt anywhere. I am now under the impression that "plain bearings" means NO bearings. No wonder all my M's are locked up. Steel riding on cast, and one drop of water, and .....well let's just say good luck with that. Anyway, yes I am being silly, but really.... cast is a known bearing material. The (WIndmill Bible) says they have babbitt, but I disagree. (respectfully) If you need any internal parts, there are folks here that can maybe have parts on the shelf, if you need outside the case items, maybe I can. Most of mine are not complete, but a few parts may be gotten. Good luck and keep us posted.
windybob

Post by windybob »

To post pics, go to full edit and preview. There you will find attachments, click on that. Then click on add files.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Not sure if I have any turntables of not. Also, not sure about the I D of these things. I will check the pile to see what I have. Do you know if yours is a 6 ft, 8 foot, 10 foot? I will also check the numbers if I can.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok update. Most what I can see, the part numbers have 8 in them, I think meaning an 8 footer. I have nothing with a 10. If that means a 10 footer, I know I don't have anything. No such thing as a 10 foot anything around here. One of mine has a turntable, can't see a number, but I can see inside that there are 2 ballruns, one in the top, and 1 in the cup. (bottom) Also has 3 setscrews around the outside maybe to keep them from seperating....?
Looks like mine have a 2 inch neckpipe, a 10 footer may have a 2 1/2 neckpipe. IF....that's the case then my turntable won't work. Can't find a number on it anyway. On the snout of my M's, the number on the top of it is hammered in by number punches. On the S's, the numbers on the snout are cast on it. There is a flat spot machined with numbers and letters hammered on it on the model M's. Hope this helps a little.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

The 10M8, per the parts list, is a brake lever that is used on the 6’, 8’, 9’ and 10’ models. The part # changes on the 12’ model for that specific part.
DavidRaines

Post by DavidRaines »

Dan, might be easier if I had your phone number. I will try to attach a couple pics.
Do you have the part that goes where the cotter pin is located?

Thanks Dave
816-668-6791
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.