Dempster #01201N Main Shaft Removal

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
JBarker

Re: Dempster #01201N Main Shaft Removal

Post by JBarker »

grezmonki wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:29 pm I use a pretty heavy slide hammer to take Dempster shafts out. I made an adapter that threads onto the end of the shaft then the hammer threads onto it. I have to pry the shaft forward when doing this to compress the take up spring that's on the shaft or else it just bounces the spring. Sometimes it only take 3 or 4 strikes, sometimes 30 or 40 but I'd say I've had 99% success rate doing it this way!
That sounds like a great way of doing it. Thanks. I am being careful when using the back castel nut to not break the back of the case out.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
windybob

Post by windybob »

Jerry, the problem with them older types is that spring on the mainshaft. Like the first one you did. That one must have come apart easy.

When you push, or pull, the spring takes it, and you can't get a good push on the front bearing race, which is holding it all in. Also, if you have the metal ring still in there, take it out. it is up against the race, and you should see the edge of it when you took the plate off the front. I would not be interested in using that bearing again. It's toast I'm sure.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:25 pm Jerry, the problem with them older types is that spring on the mainshaft. Like the first one you did. That one must have come apart easy.

When you push, or pull, the spring takes it, and you can't get a good push on the front bearing race, which is holding it all in. Also, if you have the metal ring still in there, take it out. it is up against the race, and you should see the edge of it when you took the plate off the front. I would not be interested in using that bearing again. It's toast I'm sure.
Windy, u are so correct about that spring taking the pressure and not allowing it to move. I took the front washer off but dont know how to get that front metal ring out. Maybe you can suggest how to get that out. It sits just on the inside of the snout where I cant grab it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes, that first Dempster you helped me with came out with a couple of hits by using an old lawn mower blade on front of shaft (see pic). This second one is more challenging like you always have said they would be. But, I'm not afraid because I have you on speed dial now. Lol. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
windybob

Post by windybob »

too funny. lol

you can drive a screwdriver in between the case and ring. It's not spring steel or anything, just regular. You can bend it back later.

What it does, is space the front plate with the outer race on the bearing. On the later models, they made it one-piece on the front plate.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Ok. I finally got the front race bearing on the main shaft to release. Thanks for everyones tips and suggestions, I used a combination of them to get this bearing race to release. Used heat on the snout, penteration fluid and hammer.

But, now I cant get the back pinion gear loose since the key is rusted in place(see first pic). The back pinion wont go through the back bearing bridge. Wish a Dempster had and rear access hole on the gear box like an Aermotor. Any suggestions???? Thanks!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
windybob

Post by windybob »

Jerry, sorry about missing your text. The retaining ring in the back bore keeps the gear from going through, if the retaining ring would come out, the gear would too. However, you cannot get the ring out. Or at least I don't know a way without having everything out.

Put the nut back on, and use a tierod fork to wedge it off. The fork should be at least 1 inch, more like 1-1/4 if you buy one. The shaft is 15/16 but the spacer on it makes it a good inch or a bit more. Keep soaking it too.

Man, I don't know what happened to those spacers I sent. Maybe lost in the mail, but they were in a thick padded envelope. Will wait a couple more days before I send a couple more.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:22 pm Jerry, sorry about missing your text. The retaining ring in the back bore keeps the gear from going through, if the retaining ring would come out, the gear would too. However, you cannot get the ring out. Or at least I don't know a way without having everything out.

Put the nut back on, and use a tierod fork to wedge it off. The fork should be at least 1 inch, more like 1-1/4 if you buy one. The shaft is 15/16 but the spacer on it makes it a good inch or a bit more. Keep soaking it too.

Man, I don't know what happened to those spacers I sent. Maybe lost in the mail, but they were in a thick padded envelope. Will wait a couple more days before I send a couple more.
Windy, thanks for the tip. I got pinion out finally. Thanks.

No hurry for washers, maybe next week. Thnks.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864