Platform Size

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
hwy8

Platform Size

Post by hwy8 »

As if I don't have enough to do before our Minnesota winter hits, I think I might build some platforms for my backyard "spinners". I have a 6' Aermotor and a 10', do they have different size platforms? When they are only 15-20' off the ground, the proportions are more obvious and a regular platform size looks big on the 6'....Also, I just just erected a 15' Duplex tower-top and in one of my catalogs, there are fancy wooden corbels attached to the underside of the platform. I'm going to give making them a try: Are they at all structural, or even attached to the tower? I wonder if there are just a couple of angle irons supporting a regular platform and then the fancy woodwork is just glued/screwed onto the wooden platform boards? Anyone have a real one for sale or to trace? Check out the backside of the platform in the illustration; does it look like there's a manhole between the tower and the skirt? (if there is, I'd better start losing some weight! I can see the headline now, "LOCAL WINDMILL NUT RESCUED WHEN STUCK IN HIS CREATION!")
Burt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Platform Size

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Hey Burt yes that is a entry hole in the platform. If you did get stuck in it I'd love to see the faces on the firemen when they got that call!!!
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

A cat in a tree is one thing, but some goofy old guy stuck in his windmill tower might break up a boring day for our local fire department! If they show up in one of those big ladder trucks, I wonder if I could beg (or bribe) them to do my annual Aermotor oil changes?
63markB

Post by 63markB »

😂
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

A platform is left to what suits the builder. I like a big roomy platform when I'm up there working. Aermotor builds wonderful windmills and towers then sticks that dinky little platform up there. As far as the decorative pieces go I build the platform first and then add any extra features. Of course some could be part of the support system. Let your imagination run wild. Out at the Wind Power Center in Lubbock you can see several styles of platforms.
windybob

Post by windybob »

We generally build 30 or 32 inch square platforms for 6 and 8 ft mills. Give or take.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.