Anchoring a windmill on rock

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
JoshL85

Anchoring a windmill on rock

Post by JoshL85 »

Hello everyone, i’ve been doing a lot of research on the forum and I can’t thank you enough for everything I have learned. Ive searched the forum but just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I am going to be raising and anchoring a 20’ windmill in Goldthwaite Texas and it is solid rock there. Is a concrete pad the best way to anchor it? How much concrete should I use? Any helpful tips? I appreciate everyone’s help and thank you for accepting me on the forum.

- Josh
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Anchoring a windmill on rock

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Josh how deep is the solid rock under the soil?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Depending on the thickness of the solid rock, maybe a good base plate with 4 holes per base plate affixed to each leg. Then maybe some concrete anchors.

Welcome to the forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Goldthwaith is west of the fault line that runs thru TX therefore the soil is thin & the rock is deep . I dont see any need for concrete but good drilled anchoring is necessary
leveling / plumb is most important
JoshL85

Post by JoshL85 »

Sorry, just seeing this. The only soil there was hauled in, the rest is that white rock, if that makes sense.
Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:50 pm Josh how deep is the solid rock under the soil?
JoshL85

Post by JoshL85 »

Appreciate it fellas, what would y’all suggest for drilled anchors?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Maybe something like in the image. The deeper and stronger, the better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
63markB

Post by 63markB »

Josh, there’s windmills all over Mills County. I believe I would look around and see how some of the long standing mills are anchored. Also, talk to some of the older ranchers and see if they know. The last thing you want to have happen is for it to fail and destroy your mill.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Josh, this is just a thought. I knew a guy once who would contact the fence builders. They have special bits that will drill through the rocky terrain. Not sure how big of a hole they can drill, but it is worth checking out.

Kenneth
63markB

Post by 63markB »

I agree with Kenneth, there’s lots of fence builders in the northern hill country that have skidsteers with rock bits. They can drill four holes in quick order and then you won’t have to worry about it.