A602 complete rebuild.

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
mattshup

A602 complete rebuild.

Post by mattshup »

Hi guys.

Really wanting to rebuild my “childhood” windmill. It’s an Aermotor A602. The hoop looks like it says 12/29 on it. To my knowledge it has been in our “family” since that time. My great grandpa’s cousins owned the land and then in the early 90’s my Dad purchased the land which brought it directly to us. This is the windmill that I grew up watching pump water for our cattle and started my facisnation with them.

In July 2006, the neighbors had a custom combining crew drop a hot bearing on a 90 degree day with 40 mph wind gusts and completely torch 1/3 of our grass land and basically all of the freshly stacked bales we had made to get us through the winter season. (Fun fact: that fire is used as a training example for fire entrapment in fire schools now after a report was done on it.) So we sold all our cattle and got out of the farming/ranching business and started leasing our land. I was about 12 years old when it meant its demise (2008-9ish). After not using it for several summers, I remember it spinning while being furled and my dad trying to tie a rope around it to stop it. Spring storm came along and the wheel spun itself right off. I was so sad when that happened but me being too young, and my Dad not owning cattle anymore it just never got fixed.

Here is what was left of it this summer when I got over to taking some drone pictures of it with the intentions of fixing it. You can see the remains of the wheel leaning up against the tower. I have no clue what the tower is, the bottom part looks different from the middle section and then it had an Aermotor stub tower on top.
87689B63-A2D5-4231-BF2D-61783460DCFF.jpeg
8873915D-D360-4E45-99D3-7E5A48B54E57.jpeg

This fall we got it down. It would not come apart from the mast pipe at all, so we took the whole stub tower along with it. Not the most optimal but it worked.
5C30F2BA-7096-4711-9FF1-2E814509E2DD.jpeg
Getting it apart and into the shop I have a few questions with the pictures below in corresponding order:

1. Where the main gear saddles on the case, there’s a chip off one of the corners where I’m assuming the Babbitt lays? Is this going to be an issue?
2. The snout has tons of wear. I’ve seen “rebuilt” 602 cases that look like they have a new tip put on them. What does that consist of?
3. Mast pipe has a pretty good lean to it, probably worth replacing?
214DC4E8-6761-45FA-855E-629B9541E797.jpeg
B6188269-11DB-4FA8-A0E1-D189895AC4BA.jpeg
044273F5-82A7-470E-8EEF-776ED6B036FD.jpeg
I know that pouring Babbitt can be a challenge but I would really love to try it and learn. This is my childhood windmill after all and I think I can do it. :D Here’s a few other pictures of some of the remaining if you guys see anything of significance. Some of the spokes are in decent shape but some are just absolutely mangled. Also a picture of the hub.
849AD419-5BC0-4C08-BA19-D91FC2809F93.jpeg
24ADF030-B8B1-4136-9B7A-DBB0D8EF38C2.jpeg
7EB2E08B-9306-4573-B408-2049AD75D286.jpeg
Edit: fixed report link
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mattshup on Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mattshup

Re: A602 complete rebuild.

Post by mattshup »

Forgot to also include an old home video of some of our family over at the windmill when I was a kid! I think it’s just neat that I was able to find this. I’m the little boy in the blue shirt towards the end standing around the pump trying to jump.
DBB2C3B6-BABC-470A-871B-791333539EA6.MOV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Matt if you're just going to use it as a spinner part time with a lotta work and time you probably could salvage everything except for some of the sails.Its mostly straighten of the V arms and wheel and even the mast pipe.Do your best with pouring the bearings and replacing the main shaft.The pinion gears have two pins in each of them.lot of work but it will be the original mill you grew up with.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Neat history. You might consider, if the gearbox is sentimental, to take that gearbox to Dan Benjamin / Dakota Windmill. They repour 602s and can weld anything. The rest is mainly straightening, like Dan said.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I believe the tower is Flint and Walling and you could shorten it.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Matt , looks like a fun , interesting project . Windy was my encouragement to start pouring babbitt , after a sharp learning curve the bearing turned out great . Love pouring babbitt now as I have learned how NOT to get burned from liquid molten metal . :o
windybob

Post by windybob »

I don't see anything at this point that cannot be fixed or repaired or replaced. I've done worse ones. All the wheel items can be worked over, all malleable. Same with tail items. Chip on the pedastal for the bullgear bearing is no big deal. Can't believe you were able to get the bullgears apart, but that's great. It is a later model case, with the pinion plugs, and oiling ring, and U bolts for the spokes. Pouring the babbitt in a 602 is the most difficult and time consuming, but certainly worth learning. It's all in the oil passages, that are hidden, once the mill is assembled. I'm sure the tutorial by A.J. is still circulating around, it's the best.

Thanks for the compliment Mike. Hope you also learned not to drip sweat into the molten babbitt.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

This 602 would be a timely example of this posting. The mill has the angle iron strut tail bone and a 2 rivet wheel and is not a 702. If you check the date on the hoop, it should be after 1929?

https://vintagewindmillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2102

The repoured heads you are referring to are are built up with Ni rod and machined back to spec. Welding on a replacement snout isnt generally recommended. It is a high stress area and requires centering and length specs as well.

As evidenced, the oil collector will hold a wheel on for a long time after the shaft breaks. The larger hub shaft of the 702 was designed as such for this reason. That little nub on top of the snout was the oil collector. To reuse that case and have it not leak would require the snout end being built back to proper length and square, the oil dam around the collector reformed and the oil ring on the case side of the collector built back up. Then there is the inside of the hub, it will have worn somewhat of a groove around where the shaft broke. Then in the inside of the hub where the hub contacts the oil ring of the snout, that lip is likely worn away and possibly worse and inward groove having been lathed by the snout. Doing all these repairs would make babbett pouring look easy.

It is said time and money can fix anything and life is an education but there is a lot of time for this and an education on 602s is not that transferable. A rebuilder wouldnt have to think on the economic feasibility of using it for a core. Sentimentality can adjust the time/cost factor and South Dakota winters can be long...

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

Cool story and family connection. Given enough time and money we can most likely fix most anything but should we? I would think about getting a rebuilt 602 Head or a 702, repairing the rest of the parts that can be repaired, find replacements for the ones unrepairable. You want to end up with a rebuilt windmill that will last for your life and could be passed down. Remember the sentimental part is the windmill and not the individual parts. If your grandpa's family was around when the windmill broke they probably would have purchased a replacement windmill (new 702) so they would have a reliable windmill to pump water. Just my thoughts, I wouldn't like to think about the effort it would take to actually save that head only to end up with issues later on. Jeff
windybob

Post by windybob »

That's a good saying Jeff. The sentimental part is the windmill and not the individual parts. How true that is.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.