F&W 8ft Steel Star project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
CTXmiller

Re: F&W 8ft Steel Star project

Post by CTXmiller »

Maybe after you repaint the lettering, apply a coat or two of clear matte from a spray can over it.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Clear coat is a good idea, thanks y'all!

I finally got my field guide book in. And I was reading the section on the steel star, it says the tail and fan edges were originally painted red. Anyone have any pictures of one with paint like that? All the ones I've seen so far only have paint for the black letters and the white/silver star on the tail
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Wayne,
IH/Farmall was known for painting Demo Tractors white. Usually re-painted afterwords, maybe yours slipped by.
Gregg
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

TdcJd, the star should be red and blue. I will try to fi d a picture and post it.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

This is the way I thought the Star was.
Screenshot_20230918-162756_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Kenneth, that would seem to match the b&w drawing in old pamphlets. I'll try my best to recreate the color pattern as close as I can. It seems these mills are were quite a bit more colorful that I previously thought! Can't wait until mine is up any flying
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Gregg hit the nail on the head about the white demo tractors. Dealers were supposed to repaint them red before selling. Most were, but a few weren't. Those that still have the original white paint are extremely collectable. Some ex demo tractors were repainted to white by collectors aswell, I believe you can tell from the serial tag that it was a demo tractor. I have also seen some regular tractors that were just painted white to be a replica of a demo tractor. Wayne, if you can get a good clear shot of your serial tag, it should tell us if it is a true demo
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks. I'll get a shot. Been on a trip just got back last night.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Any recommendations how to safely remove surface rust stains that won't hurt the galvanization or paint?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Maybe try some PB blaster on a small spot and rub gentle to clean !