F&W 8ft Steel Star project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
TdcJD

Re: F&W 8ft Steel Star project

Post by TdcJD »

The cub really is a fun little tractor. Mine came with that belly mower on it and I use it to mow my lawn instead of a push mower like a normal person. I would like to trade it for a farmall B at some point though.

And thank you Mike haha. I do try my best!! Although when I'm helping him with his tractors I tend to do all the manual labor parts while he tells me how to do it! :lol: But we're mixing it up this weekend and I'll be helping him move some cattle
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Is that a Cub Lowboy with a Woods belly mower. I have one with the 60 inch Woods mower. Wanting to sale it. Used it to mow until I bought my Zero turn. It is painted white. I don't know if it was one of them painted white at the factory or someone just decide to paint it white. The serial number plate only has the letter J on it, so I can only kinda guess it's age.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

It's the normal cub, not a lowboy. If yours is a factory white, it would be worth quite alot. The serial tags can be VERY hard to see the numbers sometimes. Mine was painted over and almost impossible to see, I used a magnifying glass.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm not an expert and would never say it is painted white from the factory. MIne does have a different seat stand than most. It's not a post like yours Its a u bracket wand the battery sets under the seat. It did a lots of mowing before I retired it. You just don't want to let the grass get too long. A 60 inch 3 blade mower being driven by 9.6 HP doesn't like tall grass.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Sounds like someone swapped the seat from a late model yellow cub. Alot of the stuff swaps over from all the years. I would say look underneath and in hard to get to nooks to see if there might be some red paint underneath the white
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Here is a picture of the very nice tail vane and bone I got from Steve last weekend. He pointed out this one was even dated. On the small brace at the top. August 3rd 1915. Pretty cool!

Morrison Supply Co. , Original out of Dallas, is still around. He said a vast majority of f&w vanes he's seen around here are from them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Very nice!!!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Thomas , it's good to have smart friends who are willing to share .
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Can anyone recommend a good paint to use to re paint the lettering on the tails I have? I was going to brush it by hand, enough of the old lettering is still visible to trace
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Thomas i would go with a oil based paint it will hold up better than a water based paint.