Axtell model C 10’

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
CTXmiller

Axtell model C 10’

Post by CTXmiller »

I purchased a Axtell Ever Oiled model C (10’) any few months back. It had been rebuilt and has a new wheel. I gather it changed hands a few times by the time I acquired. It was lacking the tower, and more importantly lacking the tower cap and storm stay. It was also missing one wheel arm. So I’m working on building a tower. I made a stub for it yesterday using a tower cap that should work and a Baker storm stay. The Baker storm stay had an oval hole, so I rounded it out and inserted an oil impregnated sleeve bearing, plus a grease zerk.

Steve Adams has helped with a few parts.

The Baker W series and the Axtell Ever Oiled have some commonalities as FW Axtell sold both, but they’re different. Windy has helped me with the concepts of a few things on the Axtell as there are differences between the two.

Photos attached. I’ve never been able to figure out how to add images in a specific order on the forum. I can click and add file, but it seem to shuffle the images randomly. Could be my lack of understanding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Axtell model C 10’

Post by CTXmiller »

Because on all the Axtell models that I have seen and some Axtell literature as well, I think the ball turntable, in how it is situated up in the neck of the Axtell, is a poor design. Using a SKF ball bearing turntable, I put two shim washers, one homemade, up in the neck of the Axtell turntable to lower down the ball bearing turntable to where it can be greased via a needle grease adapter on a grease gun. As Axtell had designed them, I can’t see how they would ever receive grease, but for upon their original install.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Axtell model C 10’

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Michael slow down, you have way too much on your plate my head is spinning. L.O.L
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Dan :D yes I do. I’ll spend a couple hours on one project one weekend and then spend the whole weekend on another project… my full-time job keeps me busy 50-55 hours a week so my relaxation time is in the shop.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Now my head really hurts, and I'm out of ASPIRIN!!!
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have no idea how you can have that many projects going on, and have such a clean shop. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Michael , the open gear mill between the overhead doors , the copper oiler caps really look good !
and , as Windy , the clean floor makes the rest of us look bad .
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Looking good Mike, keep us abreast of the Axtell completion. You are motivating me to do my Axtell next. LOL
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thank you. It really isn’t that neat/clean in my shop.

Mike - that is a Butler Double Gear between the two doors. I took it down about this time last year. It is without doubt heavier than any 8’ and most 10’ windmills that I have ever seen or worked on. I’m awaiting a few blades from Dan B and it is ready/complete other than that. It was a fun rebuild.

Others in the photo are an Axtell model C on the floor, Parish and a Baker X. Not pictured is an Airflow that is complete and rebuilt behind where I took the photo.
Windcatcher530 Dan

NICE !!!