Axtell model C 10’

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Axtell model C 10’

Post by windybob »

Took down an 8 ft Double Gear with a tower some years ago. That thing was one of the heaviest things I ever dealt with.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Worked on the model C a little today. Mounted it on the stub. I had my fingers crossed everything lined up as I made the stub using a Baker storm stay (close if not mostly identical to an Axtell) and a F&W (I think) tower cap.

Still trying to refine the furling system since I’m making some of those parts. My first attempt almost works, but the chain seems too big within the mast pipe and rollers for what I’d like to see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

clean craftsmenship .
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Nice work Michael.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I bet an Axtell is the heaviest of all when you add that big old cast iron bonnet on it. If I had kept my 12 ft I was going to get somebody to make me a galvanized bonnet for it. I can't imagine how you would get that cast iron bonnet off in the air on the tower without a crane.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thank you.

Wayne - I have never noticed it before prior to working on this 10’ foot Axtell C, and I see it on the smaller 8’ Axtell C, that there is an oil overflow hole in the gearbox. FW Axtell’s likely intent is that the cast bonnet might not need to be removed as the top of the bonnet has pipe plugs to add oil. Just a guess at the above, but this 10‘er cast bonnet is heavy so I know your 12’ is heavy. I suspect the Axtell model A had the overflow hole too.

I do not recall an overflow hole on the Model B and I’m positive the Model D doesn’t have an overflow hole. My 16’ model B cast bonnet is damn heavy and all I can do to take it off. The model D has cross supports for the yoke’s up and down action, which eliminates the need for the cast bonnet to keep the guide rod secure. The D has a galvanized bonnet similar to an Aermotor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
63markB

Post by 63markB »

Very nice work Michael.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yeah my 12 ft had the overflow hole also. Does any of yours have a serial number plate?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Wayne they do have serial plates/numbers. The B is the oldest, made 1931. The others were made in 1939.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I'm sure there was a little wood plug or something that went in there. Open Gear Monitors had wooden plugs for the oil entrances.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.