Eclipse 10ft Standard Mill Parts Help

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
wetsand

Eclipse 10ft Standard Mill Parts Help

Post by wetsand »

Just doing parts inventory. Windmill is in unbelievable original condition. Blades must have been stored inside .

Parts Needed
#7 Outside Wheel Clip
#8 Inside Wheel Clip
#38 Wheel Bar

Does anyone every put bearings on the Main Pivot that sits on Tower Cap? Seems like an easy modern enhancement to add. Should I leave all paint on blades original faded Green? Metail natural aged?

This is my first project with an old windmill.

Thank you
truckload.png
7and8.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: Eclipse 10ft Standard Mill Parts Help

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum and you have a nice find there.

I know little about wooden wheeled windmills, but I’d imagine a lot depends on where you intend to erect it (within a barn or outside)…like for the finish of the blades verses adding a coat of paint to the finish to protect the wood. I’d suspect that any bearing you could add, be it an oil impregnated thrust washer, roller bearing, etc, is better than cast on cast.

Others more knowledgeable can provide better opinions.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Chuck , welcome aboard , your barn find is really cool , and you got the water pump with the deal !
you are at the right place to ask questions , share photos , and get "good" answers . Michael is right about the thrust washer , look under the section for sources who supply those washers .
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Chuck very nice find. As far as the wheel i would leave it the way it is maybe just a light cleaning dish soap and water. The gear box yes fix it up and paint.That was the advice i got on my barn find Stover. Good luck and keep us posted. Dan !!
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

great find, keep us up to date on your restoration.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

A lot of people use A Dempster top casting and the two piece bearing race. That's what is on my 10 ft Axtell Standard. Can send you pictures if you want.
wetsand

Post by wetsand »

Yes please send pic. It will be helpful with my planning for attacking this new project. Thank you.
wetsand

Post by wetsand »

I do intend to put outside. Here are a couple update pics. The one shows the main pivot on the tower cap. Do all agree a thruster washer or bearing could work here? I think bearings on the blade axle could be a nice upgrade as well.

I was going to try and keep original color...keep body parts aged looking, but replace key bolts as needed (dipped in vinegar for aging) . It will not be tied to a well, but I want it to work like it should.

The Vanes need to be rebuild, but the blades are actually in great shape. I agree probably need to paint as it will be outside in hot elements.

Just missing those two parts.
IMG_1634.jpeg
IMG_1633.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Something like in the attached could likely work. Better than cast on cast for the current turntable. Measure for the correct size or see what others suggests…

I just randomly screenshot a size and I’m not certain if that size is correct for your application. Master-Carr is the source of those screenshots, but you could likely find what you need elsewhere.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

OK, I got some questions here, what part numbers are on your castings? Are the red tips on your sections really scalloped or do they just look that way in the picture? If they are and that is original paint, I really advise keeping them inside, actually, I would say it is the most valuable part of your mill and painting it would ruin its value. Besides, old sections are always dry and will not take the wind and weather near as good as they did when new. I don't know where your at but someone will jump at trading new sections for the original paint on yours. Think of it like an old gun or wagon, if you refinish it you may make it look good but it will not be worth any more than a new one and in many cases not as much. I have heard a lot of heated arguments on if these small Eclipses ever had scalloped tips, the original catalogs often show them in artist drawings but they don't show up in period photos. Some close up pictures would be great to help clear this up, also a side view of the main casting and some part numbers so we can determine who the manufactured was. You have a great find there, more than great, amazing. No matter what you do, please post some close ups of the scallops if that is indeed what they are. Thanks