Eclipse 10ft Standard Mill Parts Help

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Eclipse 10ft Standard Mill Parts Help

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Chuck the condition of your wheel and the rest of the mill is considered a museum piece.Personally myself i wouldn't put it outside, but if you're going to i would have a new wheel made up and store the originals inside, just my opinion.
wetsand

Post by wetsand »

Well, my intent was to put it out and enjoy it, but I don't want to destroy it either. I live in a climate that does get as hot as 100 in summer and below freeze in winter, so lots of possible exposure. Here are some more pics of my status today. I put one set of blades on just to see how it even comes together. There are two blades total missing and one broken. The vane wood looks like it was outside the whole time and is warped and distressed.

I do understand the value of original and do not want to destroy the originality by keeping outside, but I do not have a way to display/store inside. Open to suggestions or trades or whatever to preserve the heritage. I am also open to a metal windmill as well.

Don't know why previous pics were turned sideways. Sorry for that.
IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1638.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg
IMG_1641.jpg
IMG_1642.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wetsand

Post by wetsand »

The numbers on the parts seem to tie to the "Repairs for Eclipse Standard Windmill" sheet I got online. A in front. Quick backstory on how this mill got to California. Apparently there was this guy twenty years ago that used to drive a stake side full of Mills from midwest to central California and the guy I bought it off of had it stored the last twenty years in his barn.
Windcatcher530 Dan

That wheel is in amazing shape "Lucky Find".
windybob

Post by windybob »

I can't go any farther without chiming in here. Here are my thoughts, take them for what they're worth. Put your tools back in the tool box, move that mill inside, gather up all the parts, and toss a sheet over it for a while. Then start researching your find. You have no idea how important your mill is. Starting production in 1860, and well into the 20th century. It was one of the first 2 mills that started the whole thing, and changed history for the entire country. Read about it in the windmill 'bible' and do all the research you can. write down every move and person you associated with in the securing of the mill. You may need it for a historic rercord. When the patent ran out in 1901, the mill was copied by an amazing number of factories, I think more than copied my Fender Jazz Bass body style. And that's a lot. lol When you are finally convinced that you have a dinosaur with all the parts, then you can decide what museum to display it in, with your name and your history of it written down for the public and every child to learn what changed the course of history for America, and also to learn that NOTHING happens without water, and the introduction of your mill and it's designer, the Reverand Wheeler, changed that forever.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

AMEN Windy ! I agree
Windcatcher530 Dan

The Wise Old GURU has spoken !!!!!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

image000000(203).jpg
image000001(97).jpg
Here is the picture of a Dempster top casting and the two piece bearing cap. It would have I think 5/8 balls in the bottom piece. If you can find one be sure it has the 2 1/2 inch hole in the top piece. That will fit you mill. The one for an 8 ft Dempster is smaller hole. I'd sale this. The only thing is the bottom piece where the balls set has a chip out of it. Someone else might have one they would part with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.