What's your favorite Windmill Brand?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Dsltrk

What's your favorite Windmill Brand?

Post by Dsltrk »

I remember this topic on the old forum that was a joy to read because everyone posted why they liked that brand. Whether it was the look, the pull out or in style, the reliability, the location of manufacture etc.

I can start with choosing the Baker Monitor W series. I like the CCW rotation, simplicity of the gearbox and angled wheel. Two things that seem to be lacking is the wheel strength and brake. Lol

I just started a rebuild on a very beat up and rusty WB, so I will be doing some modifications that address those areas.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: What's your favorite Windmill Brand?

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Personally I like Open Gear windmills cause all the working parts are exposed and they all have a different personality.If i had to choose in the wood catagory Corcoran, steel catagory Mast Foos.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I like the open gear models plus the internal gear. For some reason Woodmanse has been a brand I especially like.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Favorite windmills are like favorite songs. There is a special one until another special one comes along. They all have their good things, and not-so-good things. That's a tough question. today, my favorite mill is any one I can aquire, that I don't already have.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , i'm with you on that one .
Dsltrk

Post by Dsltrk »

I wish it was easy to aquire windmills where I'm at currently. They've been scrapped long ago or are overpriced for a pile of twisted parts.

I also agree that open geared models are mesmerizing to watch, and hear as well!
windybob

Post by windybob »

You might put your name in with local junkyard owners. I have offered them in my area twice the scrap price for anything water production wise. Twice the scrap price is not much, but sounds really good. lol they can put them in a seperate pile for your viewing.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Windy Nailed it pretty good. I guess though, I would have to say the Althouse Wheeler brand for me. For a lot of reasons, it was the first mill I ever owned, given to me in a pile of parts for my 8th grade graduation from a close friend of the family. The Pipe Raymonds have a lot going for them, much the same as a Demp or half dozen or more others, except, you can replace the mast pipe in 10 minutes, the castings were smooth stoveplate style unlike a Monitor L, you can easily add more counter weight without is showing, simple wood pitman and every flat iron or rod in it is standard easy to get local stuff. The downside is, they didn't seem to sell metal wheeled PRs domestically and I don't have a 16ft, the former is probably my greatest issue but I am working on it, LOL
rockislandnut

Post by rockislandnut »

I would have to say that mills that are not known to exist are some of my favorite. This coming from a guy who likes to make 3d models so to make something that may not exist is kind of exciting. These are a few of my favorite's. Leach is probably my current favorite!🙂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

WOW Darrin those are really Cool.!!!