10’ B702 with 21’ tower used vs new

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Macdabs

10’ B702 with 21’ tower used vs new

Post by Macdabs »

Hoping some one can help me decide. Been looking for windmill project and have found a
Aero motor B702 10’ with a 21’ tower. It needs restored and is broken down . The tower Galv is real good and the gear box looks decent. The springs and cast pieces should all blast and paint nice. Been sitting for a long time and I’m sure some pieces are going to need some work. Very familiar with restoring antique cars so nothing out of my ability. I would rather have a 8 ft on a 21’ tower but this is the first mill in 200 mile drive I have found in five years . What is holding me back is the $3500.00 he wants plus what I may have in parts to get it spinning again vs just buying new . It’s not my time just the cost of parts to rebuild everything vs the cost of a 8 ft one with a new tower. I’m thinking I could have a good $600.00 in parts and material on top of the 3500.00 . Is a budget of 600.00 for parts get me in the ball park or should I just keep looking.
Thanks for any advice .
mac
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: 10’ B702 with 21’ tower used vs new

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Jeff that sounds a little high to me but i haven't checked prices on 702 aermoters. I have a 10ft 702 with a 52ft tower that I would sell much cheaper but I live in N.Y. If interested PM me. Dan!!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Jeff in Texas that is the retail price for a new Aermotor . The factory is in San Angelo TX so just a few hours drive west of here .
personally I would keep looking and asking everyone you come in contact with about any windmill , as a mater of fact , attend the International Wundmill Trade Fair labor day weekend in Potette Texas , there will be lots of opportunities there at a much more reasonable price .
The website for Aermotor.com , they list brand new motors & towers, + freight to your door .
Just my oponion
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
windybob

Post by windybob »

If you have the only loaf of bread in town, you can sell it for whatever someone will pay. Keep checking. You would be surprised how much you may save by posting here on this site that you want an 8 footer, on the right height tower. A 10 footer on a short tower, will look like one of those super sized lollipops on a short stick in my opinion.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Macdabs

Post by Macdabs »

Thank you for the replies confirming my thoughts . The hunt will continue this summer and if I have no luck I’ll look at a new mill and tower.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

A man named Jay has a list of mills with tower for sale at $2000 in this issue of the Gazette. 608-526-5878. Don't know where he might be located. For that price I'd order me a new 8 ft from San Angelo.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

There is not a lot to choose from in local sourced windmills in the Keystone state. There are not many even in the Amish and Mennonite areas. Yes that price is high.

I have two trips in to PA this year - late May and August. I have three 10' Aermotor rebuilt 702 mills here with towers . There are 5 rebuilt A702 here and I think at least 4 that we never got dug out of the snow to rebuild. Towers for the 8s are 21 to 40. There are rebuild parts here for all sizes. Rebuilds are professional done with warranty. The quality of the sheet metal from the low humidity West is hard to beat, no painting necessary.

Both trips I will be in the area of I76 & I70 intersection and one of the trips north of Penn State also. It is doubtful that I will have the crane on either trip but can deliver.to those areas.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Jeff , now there is a deal coming to you ....
Macdabs

Post by Macdabs »

I’m not that far from either of those areas I76 and 70 . I travel east to west daily in Pa . Penn State is less than 30 minutes from me .
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

I normally come in to PA via I70 as I 80 has too much toll. Most of family is close New Stanton but one brother is in Williamsport, guessing New Stanton to Williamsport will be the first trip in late May-early June.

BTW, I am a dealer for new Aermotors. We do a lot of solar pumps with windmill takedowns so we get a lot of cores for rebuilds. I don't stock new but get them as needed.

PM your interest and I will price

Ron