A702

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
joe herman

A702

Post by joe herman »

I bought a complete A702 with the top tower section, sails, furling mechanism and vane. No spring.
Also 4 wheel sections for an eight footer. All sails are in very good condition, no rust
with no bullet holes .Vane only has a few and original stenciling. The owner had taken the bull
and pinion gears out and placed them in the bonnet and left all outside on the ground
water had collected and not drained out. Top of bonnet soldering separated from freezing
although not bad. Easy to repair. All parts very rusty. i am soaking them in vinegar to see what happens.
Anyone tried this method?

How are the two A705 bull gears put together? I noticed the center bearing has lots of play.
Where can i get the replacements? I have not had a chance to see what the main shaft is like.

I am slowly making some progress on the power mill. Weather turned too hot to work after lunch.

Joe
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: A702

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

The weather is too hot to work in Canada that's crazy!!! It's only in the 40s and 50s here in NY.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

AERMOTOR.COM located in San Angelo Texas , still making every part for Aermotor .........
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Thanks. Yes weather turned hot, for me that is near 90F. We are
experiencing an early hot spell with dry conditions no rain. Lots of fires
so soon in the season.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thats not good.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Babbitt replacements are very expensive with our dollar at 73 cents.
I poured my own for the B602 I restored. How difficult is the process
for the 702? Looks like the main shaft one would be the challenge.

It asked in my 1st post how the A705 bull gears come apart?
windybob

Post by windybob »

We pour all our own X702 bearings. After many years, we have finally made and tweaked the right jigs and fixtures and molds. No way I have enough time and patience to explain how they all work. LOL But it can be done. We re-use the snout bearing shells, pour our own pinion bearing, and repour the pedastal bearing, using the old shell also. Pitmans are easy. With enough trial and error, and patience, you can probably find a way. Just remember the working of the oiling system, and the flow in and out of the oil snout bearing. The actual oil route is the same as the 602, just easily replaceable.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

For the bull gears, drive this pin out on each bull gear and then you can press the bull gears off the shaft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Thanks for the info. Not going to get to working on this project for a while yet.
Joe
Justineckel

Post by Justineckel »

I have any parts you need. You can repour you own bearings or buy them. Recommend putting new shafts in. Most are very worn if your bearings are out. 702’s are easy to rebuild especially with a press to replace the 2 main shafts. If your bearings have been out for a while you may need to weld up the snout of the gearbox and sometimes the inside of the hub and remachine it back down.