FM model W

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
JaySz

FM model W

Post by JaySz »

Being new here, I thought I would share my current windmill project along with some pics. I picked this opened-geared Fairbanks Morse about 6 years ago. I did some extensive work on it at the time, but the project got shelved until recently. I have a friend helping me out with a 20 ft. tower and she will be up and running very soon. I haven't been around as many mills as many of you fellas here likely have, but this one is about as simple and straightforward as you could get with a minimum number of parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: FM model W

Post by CTXmiller »

Nice work.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Very nice Jason, that was their second steel mill. That tin work is in excellent condition. Thumbs up to you!!!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Good job !
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Nice Sheetmetal!
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have one also, I think it's the earlier rendition. I have no sheet metal. I did find an old vane sheet that fits the original I believe. I have not started on it yet, as there are others I'm in the middle of.

Nice mill so far. I'm interested in your progress!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JaySz

Post by JaySz »

Here a question for you experts here..I helped a co-worker with his Steel Eclipse WG. It would appear the fan, spokes, vane sheet and hub might interchange with this mill. I do know the main shaft also threads on to the worm gear as it does the pinion on this mill..so maybe that would be the same too.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have some WG mills. I can measure the hub holes if you wish. Looks like both are 6 section, so that's a good start.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JaySz

Post by JaySz »

Sure..that would be nice if you would. It's just food for thought. I would venture to guess that many of the companys when first introducing oil bath mills may have reached out to customers who had their previous mills to upgrade..and they would have liked that transition to be as seamless as possible.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thats one reason why Aermotor took over the market. You could carry over your fan and vane to the new Oil-bath model. Looking at the hub it looks like Steel Eclipse Hub.