AirFlow

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
CTXmiller

AirFlow

Post by CTXmiller »

I looked for my prior thread on my AirFlow, but I believe it was likely on the old forum. Time flys by :D, so I’ll repost from memory and photos off my phone.

I picked up an 8.5’ AirFlow a few years back. According to the seller, he purchased it in the early 1990s and it had been laying down since his purchase. A cedar tree had grown up through the assembled wheel, which was laying on the ground. It had at least a 30’ Stover tower and was mostly complete, but for it had a Star 24 vane with it as opposed to the Airflow (or Champion variant) vane. A couple of the blades needed replaced and the wheel arms needed attention. The bonnet had a “top hat” as the top of the bonnet had some rust through/damage and thus a top hat was placed on the bonnet by a prior owner.

I rebuilt it, replacing the two Timken roller bearings and packed them with grease. I welded up the worn bottom of the mast pipe at the true center and had the brake pads replaced. The gearbox was one of the easiest rebuilds that I have encountered.

Dan B helped with the vane and a few blades and Steve Adams helped with a few parts. Paul’s photos of his AirFlow helped me visualize the furling system.

I’ll post some photos of the rebuild and the completed install. I put the wheel on it this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: AirFlow

Post by CTXmiller »

Gearbox disassembly photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Few more photos
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Michael , thanks for reposting , nice clean job .
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I shortened the tower as 1) I’m not too fond of heights, 2) I have no trees near my windmills, and 3) my tractor bucket can reach the platform making a nice additional few sq/ft to work from.

Photos from yesterday’s wheel install and a completed photo.
Last edited by CTXmiller on Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Very nice Micheal !!! You should be proud. Thanks for posting, Dan.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

The patina is perfect , bullet holes and all , looks good !
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Michael did you reline the brake shoes ? or did the local brake rebuilder replace , ?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

mtblah wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:46 am Michael did you reline the brake shoes ? or did the local brake rebuilder replace , ?
Thanks.

I had a local brake and clutch place reline them. It was like $15 or $20 and saved me the heartache and hassle with the efforts and acquiring brass rivets.

I’ll get the same place to reline the shoe on my Parish when I get to that point.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Looking Good!