What Tower

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
RPinAZ

What Tower

Post by RPinAZ »

I'm new to this, but I'm not used to seeing Aermotor's on this type of tower. What am I looking at?

-RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: What Tower

Post by mtblah »

You are looking at a very nice setup
The top section is a Aermotor stub tower fabricated onto a heavy construction tower base
Could have been a water tank tower
That setup should last a century or more
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I agree with Mike !!!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

That is a nice set up there. Looks to be a bigger Aermotor.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

I looked at the photo again , The tank sitting on the ground beside the tower could have been sitting on top of the tower , removed for a substancial windmill base in windy AZ . it appears to be functing as a sucker rod is attached .
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

The tower is definitely heavy duty with those cast iron gussets the girts and cross braces are hooked too. Most likely that water tank was on top.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

RP

That is a very unique set up. Is that out in the Superstitions or ranch country in the Quartzite direction? It is worthy enough that I would like to check it out in a few months when back to AZ if you would provide location? You can PM if you want to keep the location private.

That is 90% likely a 16 Aermotor. There is shading in the pic where I need to see certain things to be sure. It doesnt seem to have the Dempster style lower mast base reinforcement that a 16 should have but there are lots of 16 where those got lost in the journey.

To me, that tower has a RR flavor to it but was not used for that in its present location. It is hard to get a good perspective in the pic, but methinks if the tank was with the tower it was in the top half of the lower section. If you notice in the side opposite the ladder, there are no X braces so as to give access for the tank. Those tower mods to adapt to the stub are way elaborate for being a one of. I have some feelers out in the steam world to see if I am correct.

Definitely unique but out of place. Mill is newer than the tower. Intriguing enough that it has my interest

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

I concure with all of the above .
Mike B
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Ron, its located in Kirkland on Kirkland Valley Road (AZ 15) about 20 miles southeast of Prescott. If you paste these coordinates into google maps, it'll take you right to it (34.412094773389164, -112.70737257432238). I did notice that the satellite view looks current, but the street view is dated 2012 and it shows a different setup. I'll pm you a higher res picture.

-RP
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

RP
It appears to be on private land so in open carry states, social distancing applies...

That is close enough to Balew's in skull Valley that they would know about it or worked on it. I have talked to them but it's been a while. I will stop in and get the
skinny.

I have a 1/2 dozen windmills in that area but have never seen it.
Ron