new in Canada

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
jerryd

Re: new in Canada

Post by jerryd »

I thought I would do the same . . . when I get that far
Thanks Peter and Dan

jerry
jerryd

Post by jerryd »

It is a long way ahead yet but is there a colour name or formula for the Beatty Green?
jerry
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Hunter green
jerryd

Post by jerryd »

Thankyou
Uncovering bits of green as I clean parts so just looking in hope to a finished project
Next big hurdle is to remove shaft in hub and get a replacement made. Might saw the shaft off and drill what is left so I don't break the hub. My brilliantly skilled machinist neighbour died suddenly lately so I have to find another.
jerry
jerryd

Post by jerryd »

well making some progress. Have the shaft out of the newer hub without breaking it. I have a new shaft from Harvey Kuntz. The oil retainer/spacer is cracked but intact enough that I will dremel a small groove in the crack and put a spot of weld there. However that hub looks like it will come out . Is there a replacement?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jerryd

Post by jerryd »

Afternoon back to the Beatty
Too wet to be in the bush so into the shop for a few hours. I have the case clean and ready to take out old bearing races. Have a set ordered. Still pondering what to do with the crack in the inner hub oil return. I think i will dremel a small groove in the cracks, weld and file back to round
fit the shaft and press some of jb weld into what ever little space by the shaft. Any other suggestions?
Spent some time removing and straightening sails. Arcing the hoops. Got them real close.i have sails from 3 different mills. They have 3 different style connections. See pics. Can they be interchanged in a pinch? The spot welded ones are banged out fairly good. I took the brackets off the other styles. I hammered them fairly true but hope to find a tin worker with a roller. I expect I will reinforce all brackets with rivets or bolts and nylocks. Some of the brackets have one hole others two.
A neighbour just rebuilt a Beatty. Had sails the of stainless. 100 bucks each Canadian. My budget is not that big.
Lots of work ahead.
How balanced should the mill be? Not hard to do I think. What rpm do they spin at what wind speed? Is there a chart?
Thanks for listening and any help
jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Jerry , making nice progress , looking good , the finished product will be worth the effort . Photos are great . Thank you
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

The ones in the last picture are Aermotor, an Aermotor wheel will fit on the Beatty. I dont know if it works if you're mixing the different sections together though.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Morning Jerry,i don't think it's a good idea to mix and match the sails you have. I would try to find and match enough of the Aermoter sails in the last picture.Peter said they would work he would know.
jerryd

Post by jerryd »

Peter vk wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:36 am The ones in the last picture are Aermotor, an Aermotor wheel will fit on the Beatty. I dont know if it works if you're mixing the different sections together though.
Peter
do you mean the clips are aermotor?
20231227_161431.jpg
The sails are exactly the same size as the ones off the ones I removed from the Beatty 39/42
These sails with spot welded clips came off the Beatty 39/42
Washed and straightened.jpg
Other sails have those two styles of clips. Some were on the older Beatty pre 39/42 and some my neighbour had kicking around that he wanted gone.
I will keep salvaging till all stuff is clean and straightened
Thanks all More questions to come
jerry