F&W Star 37 Questions

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
RPinAZ

F&W Star 37 Questions

Post by RPinAZ »

I picked up a Star 37 motor in Shattuck a couple of years ago and am just now getting around to doing something with it. It appears to be mostly complete, only missing the hub and the bonnet. I don't know if I'll ever have it back in the wind, but I'd like to start by getting it on a stub tower and getting the motor functional again.

The first question I have, is there anyway to tell (markings. part numbers, etc.) what size sail it had - judging from the size, I'd guess 8' or 10'. If it helps, the rectangle where the bonnet seats is 9" by just under 12.5".

The second question - I'd like to get the casting that goes on the top of the stub tower. I've seen a few for sale, but they never say for which size Star 37 they are for. Does the top casting fit all sizes?

Thanks much,
-RP
Kenneth

Re: F&W Star 37 Questions

Post by Kenneth »

There's a number on the snout that will tell what size wheel is. It is cast into the snout. Post that number and we can tell what size it is.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Steve Adams might be able to help you with the parts you need i believe he has a couple laying around.
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Here's some snout pics with and without chalk. Kind of hard to make out the third character.

Thanks Kenneth and Dan.

-RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Ok. 1837R. 1 is the part number on the parts list. Meaning the gearbox. 8 is for 8 ft. Wheel. 37 is for model 37 and the R is for Roller bearings. When you get ready to disassemble it let me know. There is a few things you need to know to keep from breaking things.

Kenneth
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Thank Kenneth. I'm going to start on it in a couple of days. First, I'm going to re-read your post in the projects forum.

-RP
windybob

Post by windybob »

That is really good info for knowing things about the mill. Thanks!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

RP, I have explained the disassembly of a Star 37 a couple of times in the Projects section. If you can't find it, let me know and I will go over it again. It makes sense once you see it with pictures.

Kenneth
windybob

Post by windybob »

Kenneth, I lost count how many Dempster tutorials I have been through...If I would have known that from the start, I would have saved them for future use. So I know the feeling.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

windybob wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:44 pm Kenneth, I lost count how many Dempster tutorials I have been through...If I would have known that from the start, I would have saved them for future use. So I know the feeling.
Bob, your efforts are appreciated. The first mill we managed to get up and flying was an 8' Dempster 12 that we managed to cobble together using 3 tornado damaged mills from Goldsby, OK.... using your guidance posted on Brad's forum.
PaulV