F&W Star 37 Questions

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
RPinAZ

Re: F&W Star 37 Questions

Post by RPinAZ »

Kenneth, I've found your posts and have read them over to the point where I about have it committed to memory. I think I'm good to go but will probably have more questions once I get into it.
Thanks again

-RP
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , you really are needed !
windybob

Post by windybob »

I enjoy helping. Thanks.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

I got most of the rust off of the upper turntable race and as you can see, there's a lot of divots from the balls. What would cause this on just one side? Tower wasn't level or something causing the gearbox to be out of balance - or just the nature of the beast?

Anyway, I'm going to fixture it on a faceplate on the lathe and see if I can true it up so that it'll turn smoothly.

-RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If those are anything like Dempster turntables, they are hardened cast. Very difficult to machine.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Be careful turning turning down that bearing plate if you go to far the two plates might rub together. Just my thought !!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Prevailing wind might cause more wear on one side…that is my theory.
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

I'll know in a few minutes. I can turn the lips down a little as well to make sure that the only metal to metal contact is ball on race. If worse comes to worse, I'll get a new one but I figured it may be worth a try to save this one.

Thanks all
-RP
windybob

Post by windybob »

It is very common for Dempster turntables to drag. The bottom cup can be trimmed 1/8 or 3/16 to relieve the problem. If you decide to trim the lower part, if it's a cup, don't forget the inside circle also.
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Well, it seemed to turn ok. The ball seat shaved off pretty easy. I pecked away at it with a button insert until most of the divots were gone and I had a good fit with a radius gage. I did shave some off from the inner lip but man oh man it was some hard stuff. I was using a carbide button insert and it was producing purple shavings and a few sparks but I managed to shave about about a sixteenth off. It left a mirror finish on cast, so it was pretty hard. When I put it together with the ball bearings I've got about an eighth inch clearance on the inner edges and a little less on the outer edge and it turns nice and smooth now. If I put some downward pressure on the outer edge of the upper race, I can get it to wobble a little bit, but I imagine that's what the centering spider/storm stay is supposed to prevent.

-RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.