100 years old and still turning!

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Linda Jacox

100 years old and still turning!

Post by Linda Jacox »

Les & I helped take down this beautiful Monitor mill. I happened to notice the date inscribed in the concrete around the well - Nov. 9 1923. 100 years old today and still in great condition.
PB072108.JPG
PB072113.JPG
PB072098.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linda Jacox
windybob

Re: 100 years old and still turning!

Post by windybob »

NIce! It is a beauty!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

That's pretty cool. You'll have to take the concrete and keep it with the tower! Haha
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think that may be an AC model. From about 1922 to 1929. Appears that the tower top has been modified a long time ago. AC mills had the turntable under the stormstay, and one foot of neckpipe above the tower top. After all these years the turntable rusts out, and the mill drops to the tower top.
Not sure about this one, I don't see the bail for the brake system on the outside of the tower top. Could be that it was converted by a home made means. I love the wheels on these early Monitors. They are nice and full with 18 sails instead of the later 15 sail, 5-section wheels.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

That is amazing apparently the owner took good care of it. Thank you for sharing some history !!!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Linda , you are right , it is beautiful , and your photographic eye is great also , the background includes the single tree in NE
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Nice. I wonder if there is any thing being made today that will still be functioning in 2123. I read a ladies diary written in 1893, traveling from Denton Texas to Washington state by wagon train. Going across Western Nebraska they came across a homestead. he only thing left ,was the windmill still pumping cool water.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Several years ago we were keeping a customers Monitor "K" running. finally the gears started passing each other due to wear.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Wayne there are still house's and buildings that are occupied and still standing from the 17and1800s here in N.Y. Years ago people took pride in what they did and were determined to build the best.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Also remember, that was the time in history when cast iron was the 'plastic' of the day.