Thanks for everyone’s input and suggestions. Pretty well finished up my beatty.

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Joshschneids

Thanks for everyone’s input and suggestions. Pretty well finished up my beatty.

Post by Joshschneids »

Hey guys! Thanks again to everyone that had input on paint choices and spent time posting pics etc. I finally went with rustoleum hammered paint and i am very happy with how it turned out. Little more silver than i wanted but that is fine by me. Looks awesome with the green. Just the vane stencil to do and i am done. what a rewarding hobby when assembled. Hope to restore some more in the future. Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh From Ontario
CTXmiller

Re: Thanks for everyone’s input and suggestions. Pretty well finished up my beatty.

Post by CTXmiller »

Very nice
JBarker

Re: Thanks for everyone’s input and suggestions. Pretty well finished up my beatty.

Post by JBarker »

Awesome job, well done. I like your stub tower setup. I'm always looking to see how others do their stub towers. Thanks

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Nice work Josh, what condition is the tower? is it a Beatty tower?
Peter
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Looks great, are you going to cut out a poster paper stencil or get a sign shop mask? I have done both, paper stencils are worth it if your going to do more than one but the sign shop isn't that expensive if you have one close. Again, looks awesome!
Joshschneids

Post by Joshschneids »

Peter vk wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:53 am Nice work Josh, what condition is the tower? is it a Beatty tower?
Peter
Thanks Peter, The tower is a brantford tower i believe. i think from what i have read all beatty towers were 4 posts? this is a 3 post like you see on the GSM with the woven wire ties across it.
Josh From Ontario
Joshschneids

Post by Joshschneids »

Kansas Rust Buzzard wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 pm Looks great, are you going to cut out a poster paper stencil or get a sign shop mask? I have done both, paper stencils are worth it if your going to do more than one but the sign shop isn't that expensive if you have one close. Again, looks awesome!
Thanks! Not too sure yet... I have a guy i have befriended lately that ran a Billboard company all his life and is now retired and lives at his cottage near me. He has his vinyl cutter and stuff set up at his house and can make me one out of vinyl for a great price. Mainly me fixing his boat when it breaks :lol: . He has also offered to do a mask as he thinks it would be more original (Me too) so i am just debating what to do at this point. It is a hard decision.
Josh From Ontario
Joshschneids

Post by Joshschneids »

JBarker wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:48 am Awesome job, well done. I like your stub tower setup. I'm always looking to see how others do their stub towers. Thanks

Jerry
Thanks Jerry, I actually took the idea from an old beatty picture from the 30's. They simply drilled the angle iron and then bent the bottom somehow. I imagine with a big press at the factory. I cut the angle right on the 90* up about 2'' then bent each side over and through bolted through an end of an old wire reel my grandpa had. I ideally would use a metal frame but it is nice this wood reel is about 2'' thick and has some weight to it so it acts as a counter balance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh From Ontario
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

I think I'm going to steal that idea. lol, thanks
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I would do the mask and use "One Shot" sign painter's paint if you can find it, its almost as good as the old lead paint and will outlast anything I have found. Most art supply places carry black and white. Its a little expensive but brushes out really nice and is money well spent in my opinion, even is sprayed with an airbrush.