Oil leaking

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Jjmiles

Re: Oil leaking

Post by Jjmiles »

Thanks - will give that a try
Jjmiles

Post by Jjmiles »

OK - update 3/1/24 - I added more oil - it appears that the oil is dripping onto the hub shaft and leaking out the shaft - as the hub and now blades are fairly covered with oil. Would adding a wire that rubs on the shaft or something that basically wipes the shaft - maybe cause the oil to drip back into the head versus out the shaft help? Any other ideas anyone has would be helpful.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

1. Did you over fill it with oil. 2. Is the tower plumb and your mill level.3.is the oil collector in place. If all are yes than it sounds like the bearing wasn't poured correctly to me except for if you over filled it with oil.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Check the oil collector #520 (under the plug in the hub when at 12 o’clock) and see if it is clogged up. When it was rebuilt, if the rings on the snoot under the hub were worn down and not welded back up, that can cause oil loss out the hub and onto the brake band, etc.
windybob

Post by windybob »

We have removed the scraper, took an air tank up there, and blown out the hole in the snout where the scraper screwed into. That has done the trick for us. Seems the oil return was plugged.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Jjmiles

Post by Jjmiles »

Thanks for the advice and ideas - it may be the oil collector - I'll get back up there and check it out
Jjmiles

Post by Jjmiles »

CTXmiller wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:20 am Check the oil collector #520 (under the plug in the hub when at 12 o’clock) and see if it is clogged up. When it was rebuilt, if the rings on the snoot under the hub were worn down and not welded back up, that can cause oil loss out the hub and onto the brake band, etc.
Thanks
Jjmiles

Post by Jjmiles »

Thanks to the suggestion on the oil collector - there was not one in there - dang - ordered one and we will see if that solves the issue
Jjmiles

Post by Jjmiles »

So i got a oil collector (since one was never installed when rebuilt) - which I am fairly sure is the problem with the leaking out the hub area. However, when I try to put in in the hole for the oil collector the hole under the plug is off-set about 1/4" so I cannot drop it in there. Any advice on what I need to do to align it. really looking for advice on if I need to bring it back down or is there something I can do with it up on the windmill to correct it?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Is yours a 602 or a 702?