A602 Rebuild Project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
tst

A602 Rebuild Project

Post by tst »

New in NY Hi all, so I guess I am a windmill virgin, my 1st one, Have a Aermotor A602 project I picked up, former owner started on it several years back so it came to me in pieces, he did send the gearbox to Dakota Windmill back in 2015 for a rebuild, have the receipt for it, it is the earlier style with the V Spokes, wonder what year this was made, no stamping on the hoop, does have #s stamped on the end of the hub shaft, was wondering if that is a date code ?, got 9 sections of sails with it all nice, 2 tail assemblies, one from what I can tell from brochures is a late 1800's tail ?
the tower is another brand, in fair shape, came with a aermotor tower adapter and 4 leg mast pipe, I am sorting through and figuring out what I need that is missing out or NG
My plane for this is 1st get the mill together and mount it close to the ground to make sure it functions correctly
2nd I own what use to be a old turkey farm, it has a separate well for the barns which all came down 20 year turkeys drink a lot of waters back, so it has a huge piston pump type well pump, few old times told me that use to work here when it was a farm the well was 500 ft deep, water is never a issue here, I live on top of one of the highest spots in the county and the water is almost to the top of the well casing, so I want to mount the windmill over the old well and 3rd part will be to add a piston so it can pump water

here are a few pics of my pile of parts
thanks Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tst

Re: A602 Rebuild Project

Post by tst »

and more pics, gearbox pics not very good, will have to take better ones
hub shaft it is stamped E 20 with a N underneath, is this a production date?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Tim i sent you a PM
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

I think we need better pictures in order to help you out, the tower cap in the last picture is not Aermotor.
tst

Post by tst »

new pics, is there any sort of a seal between the mast pipe and where it sits on the gearcase ?
Brake band has no material on it, is that normal ?
on the end of the hub shaft it is stamped 5 20 with a N underneath maybe a production date like may 1920 ??
thanks Tim
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

There is a mast pipe cup washer that sits in the mast pipe cup. I think the part # is 576 and it acts like a thrust washer. No seal. On the top end, there is an umbrella washer and mast pipe nut.

No material or liner was used between the steel brake band and cast hub.

Your A602 looks to be in great shape as you relayed it was previously rebuilt by Dakota.

The stamping on the shaft at the hub is the date manufactured. Someone can correct me, but I believe the hub/shaft is a little older than that particular gearbox as your gearbox has the pinion pin access ports. I was always under the impression that those side access pinion ports came out around 1924+/- and were generally paired with the updated hub for the 602 that utilizes the U bolts.
tst

Post by tst »

Thanks, I have the receipt from Dakota for a rebuild and parts, no mention of a case replacement but maybe they swapped it out for the rebuild ?