1903 you guessed it.

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

1903 you guessed it.

Post by windybob »

Ok, here's the disclaimer... Although I do appreciate and have a general liking for Aermotors, many of you already know that I don't worship at the 'Aermotor altar'. However, I have no brief with anyone that does. They have a very well designed and have a time-tested record.

My issues come with the early models. I am now working over and finishing up my 1903 model, and I must say I am disappointed with the design. seems like too many things too close, operational devices with little to no clearance, and that 'bat-wing' arm for the top tail pivot really is a piece of work. :? Too fragile, too many stress points that are weak, and just an overall poor design. My Ottawa has a bat-wing, but I see no breaks or damaged areas, the Aermotor bat-wing is one huge repair all in itself. :( When Aermotor came out with a self oiler in 1915, and 1916, no wonder they wanted replace all the OG early types. If I made those, I wouldn't want those things loose in the public either. ;)

Anyway, I know they were sold all over the world, and the wheel was unique. I just don't see the quality in the head I was expecting.

Ok, you can let me have it now. :)
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Re: 1903 you guessed it.

Post by Wayne »

I guess they were all learning at that time. The customer what was good and the builder what they could sale.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I will give them that. The bat-wing on my Ottawa is much heavier, with no damage or breaks. Only a few years difference. I think they got the idea from Aermotor. REALLY close on the design, but a little different action-wise.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Windy,
How about posting a photo?
Are you talking about the “Tail Pivot” part number 10?
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think it's the tail pivot. I need to get a picture I guess. Of course there is another repair by the number. I think I made 5 repairs on it so far. Lost count. Welding rods weigh more than the original part. haha
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Is this the same 1903 that you were working on before or a new one?
Thanks,
Ed
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

"However, I have no brief with anyone that does." Windybob, just what do you know about everyone's "Briefs" and how do they have anything to do with an Aermotor? LOL I do agree with you, I got a couple RAs and they are "fragile" at best. Lots of welds, weird rivet repairs with various junk scabbed on and a marginal design at best. With that said, if I can find the rest of the stuff to get my 14ft open gear running I am going to be a happy man.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Funny Krb. lol Ed, same one. I cleaned out a large corner at the shop to store mills, so I'm getting a few done. It's about time. haha Ottawa after the 1903. I would post pictures, but I know of a person that will 'lift' them for his own site. MAybe Paul can make pictures 'lift-proof'. If so I would be happy to.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Here is the photo of the number 10 “Tail Pivot”
a10.jpg
Some people, unusually the people have a broken part, have called it, “the horseshoe”
Is this what had lead you astray?
Have you left the congregation or is this a temporary fever?
Like, Dude, do you need a hug?
Kevin

PS: For those who don’t know, Windy Bob and his crew are great supporters of the Shattuck Windmill Park.
One day at lunch, someone ask me if I had any hobbies other than windmills?
I said, yes, once a year I travel to OK to mess with Windy Bob’s head.
I started calling Windy, “Dude” and explaining windmill karma with my best left coast, Valley Girl / Big Lebowski voice.
Terry choked and half an ice tea came out his nose when I ask Windy if I should call him The Dude, or, His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino.
Everyone went quite as Windy got redder but of course, Windy was laughing.
Then, Uncle Paul hit a home run.
He told everyone how I found a rare windmill in California and brought it to Shattuck for Windy to look at.
I had no idea what was Paul was talking about but Paul said, “Get your camera ready" and he called Windy over to see my “rare” windmill.
Here is the photo from 2014 and Your Dudeness checking out a common Aermotor 602.
Paul-Bob.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smax

Post by Smax »

😂😂