4 ft Blade sections

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Wayne

4 ft Blade sections

Post by Wayne »

I want to make me some small blade sections to haul in my Wichita truck. I can get some blade blanks frm a man at Canton. I'm asking what would be the dia of the inner and outer rim for a 4 ft mill. If I know that I can get me some flat shaped for my rims.Thanks :?
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Re: 4 ft Blade sections

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I think I got a 5ft wheel I could measure but no 4ft. I would be happy to measure mine if it would help.
grezmonki

Post by grezmonki »

I would think if you laid two blanks out on the floor so the outer edge is four foot apart from each other then measure across the bottom edges to determine the diameter of the inner bands and measure the slots in the blanks for the outer bands
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yeah if it's not to big of a deal give me your 5 ft measurements. I 'll try what you say and eye ball it. I kinda was thinking 3 ft outer 2 ft inner. The blanks I have are 26 inches long. In the ball park will work. I just need a size to tell the guy bending the steel.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wayne, the other post and other thread are relavent to this response. You have just described a virtual 'cobble job' as opposed to 'proper substitution' I was referring to. haha
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

I don't remember (if I ever knew), but some someone at the trade fair here was selling copies of several brands of scale model windmills with either a 3 or 4 foot wheel. You might check them out.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks ! I don't know if I saw them or I didn't have a need then.
Windmillsrus

Post by Windmillsrus »

I’ve got a couple of 4ft mills I can measure if you like
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

The someone who builds the scale windmills is Tim Cook of Longmont CO. I saw him last weekend and this year's scaled version is going to be an Eli. It is a 40" fan, prior ones were 32". Prior scaled mills he has built are Baker Monitor, Currie and Mast Foos. Per usual he is now in frantic mode to get them completed. He thought the direct stroke would be the easiest to build but now thinking the worst. He does remarkable detail, they should be cool.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The guy is a genius. it will be worth the trip to see the Eli. Got my sections cobbled together as Windy would say. To be put in a shipping container and hauled around in my Wichita truck I think they will do. I'm now working on my Cowley 702. Hope to have it ready for viewing soon.