Wichita Truck

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Wayne

Wichita Truck

Post by Wayne »

wichita-truck-04.jpg
wichita-truck-03.jpg
Wichita Trk.jpg
This will be in two sections. For 20 years I have had this dream to make a scale model Truck. I have seen several at the tractor and engine shows I go to up North. Started gathering supplys. it has the first IHC Lawn Tractor as it's chassis bought it in 2007, they have a clutch, 3 speed trans and a rear end like a car. Bought the Koyler 7 HP engine in 2010. Don't know how long I've had the wheels. First was going to build a Federal truck open cab chain drive. Then I found out there was a truck manufacture in Wichita Falls Texas from 1911-1931. Found these two pictures and they are what I've tried to copy. A lady is supposed to be making my hood and fenders. It has been since Thanksgiving so I'm about to think not. Next section will be the decals from original. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: Wichita Truck

Post by Wayne »

Second Section
IMG_20181215_164224419_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Wichita Decal.jpg
THe Wichita truck was all over the world. There moto was "The Sun Never Sets On a Wichita Truck". One of there first orders was for 100 trucks to go to Denver Co. They also made buses and New Orleans bought 200 buses at one time. So hopefully soon I'll get my hood and fenders so I can take it out for a spin. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

That is a pretty cool project Wayne
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Really neat! I made a set of wood wheels for a great big chain drive REO truck a few years ago, I think the back had 34x8x3/4 iron rims like a wagon I had to shrink on the wood wheel, then had to press another 1/2 rim with the vulcanized rubber tire on that, it was a huge job and my 80 ton press wasn't hardly enough!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Wow! Sounds like a big under taking. I've about decided my lady isn't going to be able to make my fenders and hood. Going to call her Friday and see what the hold up is. Din't know which way I'll go if she can't do the job. I've always been under the spell of the old chain drive trucks. It took me two sprockets before I got the right size on the rear drive. First one was too big went too slow. Wish I could find some weaker springs for the rear.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

That's cool Wayne.
Thanks,
Ed
steve p

Post by steve p »

Neat project wayne!
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Just out of curiosity, how many originals have you found still around?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

There are 4 I know about. One is in the Kilgore Oil Museum in KIlgore Tx. There is an original bus the last I heard in the Original factory in Wichita Falls. A man has a wrecking yard close to downtown Wichita Falls who has one that he supposedly was going to restore. Then my sister tells me there is one in Burkburnet Tx just up the road from Wichita Falls. You can find the story if you Google Wichita Trucks.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

wichita-truck-11.jpg
wichita-truck-12.jpg
This is the bus that last I heard was in Wichita Falls. Right hand steering and chain drive. Could have been like they sent to New Orleans.