Flint & Walling

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Mister Ed

Re: Flint & Walling

Post by Mister Ed »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:12 pm Mr Ed i believe the model 13 was a wooden wheel mill only. The wheel is definitely a model 12 with those wrap around sail ties.
Dan -
Both the 13 & 15 were available with wood or steel wheel. I think all of the steel wheel versions from this series had the wrap around sail ties, I know both the 12 & 15 did ... but could be wrong on the 13. I do not know if there was a difference in pitch on the sails in the back geared vs direct stroke units. All three models used the same hub (I believe even the wood versions). The 15 used a walking beam, like the 12, the 13 did not have a walking beam. The 13 used a governor rod & weight like the 9, 7 & steel star.

I had the opportunity to buy a 13 once, probably should have. Its hard to remember about the sail ties and I cant find the pics that I took of it.
Thanks,
Ed
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Mr Ed the model 15 did have the same wrap around sail ties but was a direct stroke only i believe. All the literature i have on the model 13 only says it was a wooden mill only in 8 1/2 ft size. And yes the hubs i believe were the same in appearance on the three mills. If there was a steel model 13 i would like to have a copy of the literature for my files.Do you have one? Thanks Dan
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Yes the 13 & 15 were both direct stroke.

I hope these come out large enough. It is all I have on the 13.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Ed
Windcatcher530 Dan

Thank you for that info Ed. Interesting cause all the trade litterateur i have on Flint and Walking only tells of when it was introduced in 1913 as a 8 1/2 wooden wheel only and then again with a repair list for the model 13 wooden wheel only in 1921. YOU SHOULD Of BOUGHT THAT MILL!!!
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:19 am Thank you for that info Ed. Interesting cause all the trade litterateur i have on Flint and Walking only tells of when it was introduced in 1913 as a 8 1/2 wooden wheel only and then again with a repair list for the model 13 wooden wheel only in 1921. YOU SHOULD Of BOUGHT THAT MILL!!!
Dan, that parts breakdown was from F&W catalogue #100 ... not sure of the year, but presumably pre-'24. There are a couple pics of the mill that was for sale at windmill-parts.com ... ugly yellow brown thing. They are not the best pics, but they were the ones from the original add (Neil must have grabbed & saved a copy).
Thanks,
Ed
Windcatcher530 Dan

Okay thanks Ed will check it out.